Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How E-bay ratings work

I've had only one really negative experience on E-bay.  I bought a microSD to Compact Flash adaptor from a seller called Gigacity.  It said the item was in USA when in fact it shipped from China.  Anyways, the product didn't work.  Instead of giving me an immediate refund as other sellers did, they demanded I return their piece of junk merchandise at my expense.  Today, I got an universal power adaptor for notebooks (also an Ebay purchase).  It was a piece of junk.  You couldn't change the polarity of the plugs as the plug itself was polarised so that you could only plug it in one way.  Instead of giving a negative rating right away (and then retracting it once I got my refund), I contacted the seller (this is the preferred Ebay procedure) and told them they sent me a useless power adaptor.  Well, they responded right away and said I would get a refund in my PayPal account within 48 hours.  That's typically how things work on Ebay (it's happened before when I got some crap CPU cooling fans, a bad SD-CF adaptor and even for SDRAM I bought from a USA seller).  That's why the ratings are always so positive - way over 95% for the most part!

Well, while rummaging through the shed, I found a Compaq 18 V adaptor that worked in the HP DV1000 I got for $25 (along with an HP desktop and 2 Socket A mainboards with CPUs).  The HP DV1000 LCD screen is busted, but I just hooked it up to a CRT so it's now a desktop.  Got all the drivers working on it eventually.  I also got my AMD notebook today from Dell.  Unfortunately, they also sent me an Intel notebook which I didn't want.  Have to clear up the mess somehow!  I am going to use this notebook to try to learn PHP this summer so I can program webapps to hopefully do something with MySQL.  Lot's to do!

I had passed out at the blood donor clinic last Thursday (June 30) and I think I bumped my head.  Never going to donate blood again!  I had reluctantly signed up at the behest of an Aden Bowman student who was applying for a bursary.  A quarter century ago, I donated blood at U of Toronto during a residence activity and I just broke out in a cold sweat (that was when I was a teenager).  This time, I actually passed out twice. The first time, I was still in the recliner and they had to lower it again when I was about to pass out.  My BP lowered to 105/60.  After a while, I thought I was better so I walked over to the refreshment area.  After a few minutes, I started to feel lousy, so I was trying to walk back to the recliners and next thing I know a nurse is wiping my head with a cold, moist towel!  She even said "well, you gave it a shot and it's just not your thing".  I think I was more trouble to them than I was worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment