Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vernier Spectro Vis Spectrophotometer

We bought a Vernier SpectroVis and I've been using it with some success.  It is really easy to identify mercury light sources.  However, I did a really dumb thing today.  We collected flame test data with the room lights on and as we were identifying the peaks from the sprectrums, they were all the same! Yesterday, I noted that collecting data with the lights on gave clearer data - of course it did - I was just reproducing the spectrum for the fluorescent lights in the room:

Data collected with room lights on showing classic mercury spectra
Duh!  I even convinced myself that I had found a match with some published Ca(OH)2 data!

Well, looking at the results of the other tests, I can only say strontium nitrate and magnesium gave clear results. Here is the strotium nitrate result:
SrNO3 data collected in the dark
If you comparethe observed peaks this to this spectrum:

I think a case can be made for a match.  Also, the red flame observed is clearly evident in the actual spectrum recorded.  This was not the case for many of the other samples I tested!

SrNO3 flame test



No comments:

Post a Comment