Monday, August 20, 2012

Video Editing on Windows 7

Folkfest 2012 is now past and I had the task of burning some DVDs from the footage I took with a Canon FS100 standard definition camcorder.  I tried Windows Movie Maker and discovered that it calls up Windows DVD Maker after it's finished rendering.  The strange thing was Windows Movie Maker leaves a black border around the video!  The rendering quality was also quite crappy. Windows DVD Maker doesn't auto detect chapters very well.  Obviously, Windows video editing (the basic stuff that comes with Windows) cannot compare to iMovie which comes with Max OSX.  You would think the programmers at Microsoft would work harder to close the gap on this one!  But, MS wouldn't even include an MPEG2 decoder with Windows OS (too cheap to license it!).

I had some bad experiences with Premiere Elements 8 hanging on me (Windows 7 Pro 32 bit). Premiere Elements 9 is quite a bit better (loads a lot faster too), but it wasn't too great.  I had Pinnacle Studio 10 and it crashed all the time in Windows Vista Home Edition 32 bit.  So, I decided to download Corel Videostudio X5 and try the working trial.  Working on a Lenovo X220 Corei7 notebook with only 4 Gig of memory, it hasn't crashed on me yet (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit).  It was pretty easy to use and I got better as I authored the 2nd DVD.  I went with Corel because it's Canadian and Videostudio is written by Taiwanese programmers (Corel bought Ulead).  It's only $70 from Amazon.ca and I may very well buy it.  A good Windows 7 video editing experience for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment