Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Beethoven Opus 111

I'm am just crazy about the last 3 piano sonatas of Beethoven.  Last year, Opus 109 consoled me in mourning.  Then, as I listened more to Opus 111, it pierced my soul as much as the other solo piano works I love (Schumann Opus 13, Schumann Opus 17, Brahms Opus 24, Brahms Opus 118, Nr 2, Chopin Barcarolle).  There is a part in the last movement that sounds jazzy.  This is followed by a part that just blows me away -- trills and chords together.  I have a DVD of Kocsis playing this sonata and it makes you appreciate how hard it is to play.  Wow.  Today, Bruce Hungerford's recording of it arrived from Passionato.  I like it.  I also like Pollini.  For sheer beauty of sound, Simone Dinnerstein is unbeatable.  This is why so many regard Beethoven as the greatest of them all.  Click here for some insights on Hungerford's Beethoven.

No comments:

Post a Comment