Sunday, May 18, 2014

Nothing gold can stay 2014 Edition

Other than summer, this is my favorite time of year.  I don't particularly like aspens or poplars, but it is at this time of year that Robert Frost's poem so aptly describes the fresh foliage of the aspens in the parkland of western Canada.  I don't have any sunflower seedlings sprouting this Victoria Day weekend.  Not much has grown for me and the trees in my yard are still budding.  Often, the apple blossoms are already out and my Ohio buckeye is starting to leaf.  Not this year though.


Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Last Thursday, my Earth Science 30 class went on a field trip to observe building stone in downtown Saskatoon.  Tyndall Stone is from the Ordovician (about 450 My). There is a lot of Tyndall Stone in Saskatoon and here is a crinoid fossil near the main entrance of the Delta Bessborough:

There are several great references about the fossils found in Tyndall Stone:


No comments:

Post a Comment