Saturday, June 21, 2014

Make sure you save your Office 2013 setup file!

Office 2013 hides the product key quite well.  I couldn't extract it from the Office 2013 installation I had.  I needed to figure out which license I used for the two computers I had Office 2013 on.  One of the computers was corrupted with malware and I had to reinstall Windows 8.  When I was trying to reinstall Office 2013, I couldn't figure out which product key went with which computer.  Finally, I found that the install file stub you download when you first install Office 2013 is unique to each license.  Luckily, this download file was saved from the computer that was reformatted!  You don't need to type in the product code when you run that install stub.

So, make sure you save that install file stub that you first download when you install Office 2013.  You should also keep track of which install file goes with which computer!  This is why M$ is going with the subscription style of Office 365.  Adobe Create Cloud is a clear money grab with its monthly subscription fees.  Hmm... that's why I root for an underdog like Serif Suite!  Their free versions are found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment