Friday, November 28, 2014

Mozart's Last Piano Concerto

I've been  reacquainting myself with Annie Fischer's Mozart Piano Concerto recordings this past month.  After listening to K P Yohannan's messages these last two weeks, it seemed to me that the Larghetto from Mozart's final piano concerto reflects the brokeness that Brother KP talks about that drew him to the Road to Reality.  It happens that KV 595 is also one of two Mozart piano concertos that Murray Perahia rerecorded with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.  He also made a DVD of the performance.  Murray Perahia also adds quite a bit of ornamentation in his playing whereas Annie Fischer  plays what is written in the score (that was the tradition back in 1959),  KV 595 was Clifford Curzon's favorite Mozart Piano Concerto.  He made several recordings of it for Decca, but only authorised the release of the recording he made with Benjamin Britten.  Curzon also adds some ornamentation in his playing too. They are all recordings I treasure of Mozart's most poignant piano concerto IMHO.  Benjamin Britten made a recording of Mozart's Prague Symphony which I just love, but I only have it as a London LP.  Tis the season for Mozart it seems for me, my first love in classical music.




No comments:

Post a Comment