Sunday, December 14, 2014

Delphi XE on Windows 8

I was moving my Delphi XE installation from a Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 8 desktop when I discovered that the RSS Feed Utility I wrote woudln't compile under Windows 8.  Eventually, I traced it to a function I copied and pasted from somewhere which allowed me to download a file from a URL.  I had thought the error was from importing an Active X component which I noted two years ago.  Looks like Delphi-zine is no longer around.  I hope that isn't a sign that Delphi is fading.  So, the web references I used were saved as PDF so I would have them in the future.
 
A year ago, I added the function to download from a URL as we had to host the RSS feed on a different server and I could no longer use FTP.  A Google search "delphi download file from url" led to this from StackOverflow.com.  I used the second answer that used an API call.  I had to figure out how to use that API call (needed to make sure the WinINet unit was included in my uses clause).  I also had to PChar() the URL which was stored in a string variable.

Now, as I was trying to figure this out, I thought the problem was Delphi XE didn't work well with Windows 8, so I was installing RAD Studio XE3.  When I tried to compile the fixed Delphi XE project with Delphi XE3, it gave me compile errors on the Active X control.  That I couldn't figure out (yet).  One step forward, two steps back.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment