Friday, November 25, 2011

Ivan Moravec, Brahms Piano Concerti

This set of Brahms Piano Concerti with Ivan Moravec arrived yesterday from Presto Classical (it's also available from Amazon.ca).  Unfortunately, I was charged GST and PST and a big service charge by Canada Post.  Now, many years ago, I heard Moravec play Opus 15 with the Calgary Philharmonic.  It was around 1984-1985 when I was a high school student.  In a live performance, the balance between piano and orchestra is quite unlike that in recordings.  I don't recall it as particularly powerful playing, but it was a long time ago.  Last year, the family heard Angela Cheng play this concerto with the Saskatoon Symphony.  She gave it quite a bit of weight indeed.  The performance was tarnished by some out of tune horn playing though.  This particular set from Moravec received a Penguin Guide Rosette (some reviews here).  I concur!

No comments:

Post a Comment