Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Stephen Kovacevich Favorite Beethoven Sonatas

I had purchased this from Presto Classical a while ago.  I've not listened to the Hammerklavier sonata for a while so I finally opened this 2 CD set on Halloween.  What amazing pianism indeed.  I was thinking of buying his complete set of Beethoven piano sonatas, but it was kind of expensive.  The tempi are very brisk, but it's not rushed at all.  I've never heard the Hammerklavier played so fast (honoring Beethoven's manuscript markings).  I wish Kovacevich was better known - he's really an underrated pianist.  I have his 2nd recording of Schubert's D960 on order and his 2nd recordings of the Brahms Concerti.  I had previously written about his earlier Hyperion record of D 960.

1 comment:

  1. Great pianist !
    I am soon going to understand him in Paris in a concerto of Mozart.
    I have already listened to him as conductor 5 months ago. I agree with you : he 's an underrated pianist and don't know why ?

    Kris

    ReplyDelete