Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Remember 228

Today is 228 in Taiwan and more than ever, we need to remember.  When callous remarks like those of General Hau Pei-tsun (郝柏村) are spoken, it just shows Taiwan has not had the reconcilliation from this crime against humanity.  Today, I donated US$100 (C$102.28) to FAPA and $228 to the Saskatoon Symphony  to commemorate 228.  Earlier this month, I donated $76 to the Cancer Research Society so that it will be tripled in effect to $228.  The Taiwan Library Online is another homage I pay to the victims of 228.  I am continuing the 228 Memorial Scholarships at the Saskatoon Music Festival for 2012.  This afternoon, a colleague asked what I would like as a courtesy for my grandmother and I asked her to donate to Amnesty International to remember 228 (I give $19/month = $228/year to AI).  I'm glad to see some students from my wife's alma mater have not forgotten 228.  Tsai Ing-wen also paid homage to some heros of the past - Ng Chiau-tong (黃昭堂) and Deng Nan-jung (鄭南榕).  Remember 228.

No comments:

Post a Comment