Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beethoven Late Piano Sonatas

I have been listening to the late Beethoven piano sonatas a lot recently.  I've bought Christoph Eschenbach's set, Maurizio Pollini's set and I also have some played by Stephen Kovacevich.  Wilhelm Kempff's complete set has been on my shelf for decades, but I tended to only listen to the Hammerklavier Sonata.  The last three sonatas are played quite frequently at our home these past few weeks.  I still love Op 109 the most.  I finally found something in Beethoven that struck deep in my heart like Schumann's Opus 17, Brahms' Opus 118 Nr 2, and the most poingnant moments of Mozart piano concerti (KV 595 2nd movement, KV 503 final movement when everything just stops and the double bass, oboe and flute come in).  Leonard Bernstein places Beethoven's music above everything else.  I kind of realised that was probably the case, but it wasn't until I really listened to Opus 109 that a nerve was struck that awakened a deep love for his music (not that the Choral Symphony isn't loved by our family).

No comments:

Post a Comment