Friday, March 16, 2012

Oh what joy! Murray Perahia plays Mozart Piano Concerti

Guess what arrived from UPS?  The bargain box of Mozart piano concerti played by Murray Perahia.  I listened to KV 503 first and then part of KV 537 (CD 11).  Then I took out CD 7 with KV 453 and KV 456 - wow!  I love the music and the great pianist playing this familiar music (for me).  I've always wanted to get Murray Perahia's set, but it was more than I wanted to pay.  I have Géza Anda's set on 12 LPs, Daniel Barenboim's Berlin Philharmonic set on CD, Ashkenazy's Philharmonia set on CD, but it was Perahia's that would complete my wishes.  Now, I'm listening to KV 271 (Jeunehomme).  I heard Maria João Pires play KV 271 with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra in the late 1980s when I was a student at U of T.  What a bargain!  I walked down to Roy Thompson Hall to get my same day $10 student ticket.  How stupid that I didn't do that more often while I was an undergrad at U of T!  The second movement has a depth of expression unmatched and unlike anything before it (I think).  I have Clara Haskil's recordings of the Jeunehomme concerto too.  What a master she is.  Thank you Sony for reissuing these recordings at a bargain price!  I much prefer Murray Perahia to the likes of Lang Lang - this is from his website - note the classy reponse to Lang Lang's brashness:

Q: The calm, collected appearance you project on stage -- no matter what fears may be bubbling inside -- couldn't be further removed from the showy gesticulations of the Chinese piano superstar Lang Lang who once suggested pianists over 60 -- like yourself -- no longer have what it takes. Any comment?


A: "He's charming but he wants to appeal to the public and after a point you have to do the work for yourself, not for the public."


Before retiring for the night, I listen to the Larghtetto of KV 595 - the last of Mozart's piano concertos.  The end was near and you can hear it in the music.  For all the unspeakable pleasures this music has given me, Mozart is one of my favorite three composers along with Schumann and Brahms.  Music I have enjoyed for over 30 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment