Saturday, December 7, 2013

CamStudio and malware!

A few days ago, I downloaded CamStudio to my Athlon Windows 7 laptop.  Big mistake.  During the install, I was trying to say no to the 'free software' that was offered.  One of them got installed - it was a browser hijacker (MySearchDial).  Even worse, Internet Explorer 11 wouldn't even startup (it would crash upon starting up).  After unsuccessfully searching "internet explorer crashes on startup" and finding no solution (tried MS Fixits, Malwarebytes scan in safemode and several others), I tried system restore back to November 29, 2013.  That worked.  However, MySearchDial was still showing up in Chrome and Firefox.  I could unistall Chrome, but Firefox 23 was screwed up, so I installed Firefox 25 over it and then unistalled Firefox 25.  I also updated Avast Free to the latest version.

On the system restore, I was back to IE10 which was still working.  I installed Firefox 25 again and it was malware free.  Then I did the update to IE11 and finally, it was working too. 

I don't know if Portable Camstudio has these issues, but CamStudio does for sure.  Avoid this (once great) free screen recorder to avoid this grief!


No comments:

Post a Comment