Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Don't use Ubuntu Linux 14.04 on Pentium 4 Class machines!

I discovered the last two days that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS doesn't run well on a Pentium 4 2.66 GHz with 1.5 G of DDR.  It was formerly running Windows XP SP3.  After trying a for quite a few hours to figure it out, I gave up and put Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it instead.  I think there's issues with the old GeForce 2 MX400 AGP 4x video card though.  It's running OK though.  I typically do this when installing Ubuntu
  1. Install VLC Player from the software centre and set it as the default app to play videos.
  2. Install Iced Tea Java Plugin so Java applets will work.  I actually tried installing Java from Oracle on this computer (had to go through the manual command line steps), but it didn't work with the browsers.
  3. Install Google Chrome.  I had to download it from Google since it didn't show up in the 12.04 Software Centre.
 Next, I tried using a TP-LINK N150 TL-WN725N USB wireless N adaptor.  It wasn't automatically recognised by Ubuntu.  Luckily, a Google search dug up this solution.  Now this old Pentium 4 can be used as a surfing station connecting wirelessly with the $15 TP-Link wireless N adaptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment