Thursday, August 7, 2014

Toronto Symphony Orchestra Concert from 1990

I found an old programme of a TSO concert from 1990 January 25 (two days before Mozart's 234th birthday) .  I recall possibly going to Hart House for supper and then walking down to Roy Thompson Hall to listen to Mozart's Jeunehomme Concerto, KV 271.  I had to take the GO Train back home to Oakville.  I enjoy the recordings I have of Clara Haskil playing this concerto.

The only other TSO concerts I've ever been to was one with Sarah Chang playing a Paganini Violin Concerto (also during undergrad days) and one from Easter Break 1998 with Perlman playing the Brahms Violin Concerto.  Pinchas Zukerman was conducting that evening and I think the Mendelssohn Reformation Symphony was in the second half.

I really enjoyed this concert.  I bought the same day tickets for $10 as a student by walking down to Roy Thompson Hall from U of T before the concert.  Mozart's Jeunehomme Piano Concerto is the music of a teen and it bubbles with youthful energy.  The slow movement is very solemn and has a depth of emotion that reminds me of the slow movement of KV 595 - his last piano concerto.  I also recalled the spectacular brass of the TSO in the finale of Brahms' Second Symphony!

No comments:

Post a Comment