Friday, September 5, 2014

Happy Birthday Valerie Tryon

Half a decade ago, I came across Valerie Tryon's CBC CD of Chopin's Scherzi and Ballades in the cutout bin at L'Atelier Grigorian in Oakville (I went there this past summer and they are now closed!).  From then on, I was hooked.  I subsequently bought her APR CD with my favorite solo piano work (Schumann's Fantasie).  This was followed by her 3 CD Chopin a Chronological Journey.  I listen to the third CD in this set quite often (Third Piano Sonata, Barcorolle, a Nocturne).  Then I got the APR CD of two of my favorite Mozart Concerti (KV 491 and KV 503).  She plays Godowsky's candenza in KV 491, but also supplies a track with Hummel's cadenza (which Annie Fischer played in her EMI recording from 1959).  Very enjoyable and a source of much pleasure over the years.  I bought 3 more APR CDs from Presto Classical this week as a birthday present for myself  (Mendelssohn and Ravel).

Well, Valerie Tryon is 80 years old today.  It is amazing how solid her technique is, but she is truly an artist.  There was this recent article in the Hamilton Spectator about her.  She also helped a fellow pianist as noted in this Ottawa Citizen article.  Enjoy this interview from Youtube.  Many happy returns to you Valerie Tryon.  You've touched my heart and I hope many more people discover your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment