Friday, September 26, 2014

Recovering from a lost password

For some reason, a Dell Windows 7 Pro laptop 'forgot' its password.  I took the hard drive out and recovered the data to an external hard drive and a DVD.  I had to connect this laptop hard drive to one of my desktop computers to do that.

I tried a system restore back from the boot menu, but that didn't work either.  So, I tried to reinstall Windows 7 Pro by using my DVD.  Didn't work.

Next, I used a Dell Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD to install the OS successfully.  I then got the driver for the network and downloaded the Dell utility to create restore disks.  That process is going on right now.  I hope to use the restore disks to make the hard drive 'factory fresh' with Windows 7 Pro again.

This is why one must not use an administrator account to do daily work.  If this password was corrupted on a standard user, the problem could have been easily fixed by using the admin account to reset the password of the standard account.

Instead, this is turning into a multi-hour saga ...

No comments:

Post a Comment