Friday, March 6, 2015

HP Pavilion 500 Reformatting

When I tried to reinstall Windows 8 on an HP Pavilion 500 Desktop with the restore DVDs I created with the Cyberlink software that came with the PC, it would give me a read error on DVD 4.  I managed to restore the computer to Windows 8 from the restore partition, but it would not update to Windows 8.1.

I tried again tonight, but the problems started.  The UEFI BIOS wouldn't let me change the boot order even after I disabled secure login (I couldn't access the legacy boot items like DVD-ROM, Primary HD etc).  I also got an error message when I tried to restore the computer to factory new condition from the restore partition of the hard drive (that worked previously, but not tonight). So, I plugged in a Lenovo slim DVD burner and booted from USB Optical Drive option in the BIOS.  This worked!  The Lenovo could read the 4th DVD and the HP Pavilion was restored to factory original condition.

I really dislike how HP only lets you make one copy of the restore disks.  I made ISO images of the DVDs with ImgBurn to make sure I could burn restore DVDs for this computer in the future in case the original copies got lost or corrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment