Monday, March 30, 2015

Jon Kimura Parker - Fantasy

This CD arrived today.  It has my favorite solo piano work on it - Schumann's Opus 17 Fantasie.  I shall add this recording to to put along side Curzon, Anda, Pollini, Perahia and Tryon as versions to set aside as my favorites. It is beautifully recorded.  There is not a hint of percussiveness at all! Jon Kimura Parker won the 1984 Leeds Competition - the only Canadian to have ever done so.  As a high school student, I remember seeing a clip on CBC news of the end of the Beethoven 4th piano concerto which he played in his winning effort.  Parker is on the Faculty of Rice University.  Lin Cho-liang happens to be on the faculty there too.  Must be a great music school to go to!  Now, Colin Zelt, who helped me out in grad school is also at Rice University.

No comments:

Post a Comment