Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tried Delicious and Evernote

Evernote gives you 40 megabytes/month of storage. You can use this as a save now, read later tool. It saves webpage information you select (with your mouse) into a notebook. I installed the Firefox extension as well as the Windows app. For some reason, my notebook does not show the two StarPhoenix articles I saved, but the Windows app does. Don't know what the problem is (are the web and windows versions not in synch?). (Update - it's synched now, I guess it just takes some time). In the past (and I will still do this), I went to the print article link and then made a PDF which I would save somewhere (often on my Gmail account as an e-mail to myself).

I also signed up for delicious (already had a Yahoo account, so this was easy) and bookedmarked the SP article on SaskPower this past weekend (excellent for Science 9). I then shared it off in Twitter as well as delicious (which then shares it off in Twitter). I wonder how long the link will last though? That's why it's good to archive articles that are of use in a PDF. I wonder how long Evernote will be around? The problem with some of these new Web 2.0 tools is that they often change or disapper (eg Etherpad which was bought by Google).

Don't forget the importance of putting good tag words so that anything you share publicly will be easy to search for. I often do this when I store things by e-mailing them to myself (so I can search for it easily in Gmail in the future).

No comments:

Post a Comment