Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Robert Schumann was born 200 years ago today







Schumann is one of my favorite composers. It's been 200 years since his birth in Zwickau, Germany. I was first attracted to Schumann by the Fantasy, Op 17. I remember when I lived in Oakville, on CJRT, Paul Robinson and Bruce Surtees mentioned how it ends with a question. The 3rd movement of the Fantasy is some of the most beautiful piano music ever composed. The recording I first discovered this masterpiece from was Murray Perahia's. Since then, I've grown to admire the recordings by Géza Anda and Maurizio Pollini. The Symphonic Etudes (Op 13) recording by Pollini made such an impression upon me I declared Schumann along with Mozart and Brahms as the music closest to my heart. I gave my sister the Pollini CD which I bought mail order from Templar Records in London (when I was in grade 10) and she just loves it too. I'm waiting for my DG Schumann anniversary box to arrive. I'm listening to Géza Anda's recordings of these two favorites in my car this past week. I LOVE SCHUMANN'S PIANO MUSIC :)

Next anniversary is 1833 - the 200 year celebration of Johannes Brahms' birth. I hope to be around for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment