Friday, September 10, 2010

I give up on the Phenom II 940

Well, I got this huge Coolermaster fan today from Amazon.ca.  However, it was way too much of a pain to install (I would have had to take my motherboard out), so I decided to give up on the troublesome AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition CPU I bought.  I took it out and packed away the new fan and put in the AMD Phenom 9650 I had also bought.  Hopefully, I can sell the 940.  What a difference 95W and 125 W CPUs are!

Next, I popped the Radeon HD4350 PCI Express 2.0 Video card back into the system.  The mainboard has ATI HD4200 onboard.  It was a bugger to configure dual display with two display adaptors!  You have to make sure the BIOS is set to surround view.  Also, when I attached my LCD TV, my DVI connexion to the LCD monitor disappeared (BIOS switched to initialising the TV (PCI-E card) first.

I'm kind of ticked.  This was a huge waste of time and $$$.

The Phenom 9650 is running cool with core temps of 20°C with light load.  The Phenom II 940 would be at 45-55°C core temp.

1 comment:

  1. Managed to sell the Phenom II 940 on 9/11. Good riddance! Took a loss on it, but including the extra fans, I've wasted about $60. ARGH!

    ReplyDelete