Wednesday, February 9, 2011

228

228 marks an infamous and sad day in Taiwan's history.  On February 27, 1947, agents of the Chinese Kuomingtang (KMT) occupation forces on Taiwan assaulted a woman who was selling cigarettes. Onlookers were outraged and chased the agents away.  Thus began the 228 uprising which ended up with tens of thousands of Taiwanese murdered by the KMT army.  Almost 40 years of martial law ensued (1947-1987) and Taiwanese voices were silenced by the KMT occupation forces.

To commemorate the sacrifices of all those who opposed the tyranny of the Chinese Kuomingtang occupation forces, I have donated $150 annually to fund the Taiwan 228 Memorial Piano and Taiwan 228 Memorial Vocal scholarships in the Saskatoon Music Festival.  I've forgotten when I started the scholarship, but I would imagine it is close to 10 years now.  I have also donated $19/month=$228/year to Amnesty International for over 10 years.   Yesterday, I decided to donate $228 to the University of Toronto ($76 to the Geology Department, $76 to the Physics Department and $76 to New College).  Being a graduate of the Geology and Physics programme, I've been regularly donating to the Geology and Physics departments, but this year, I thought I would donate to New College as well since I'm considered a New graduate.  Today, I got the usual appeal from the Cancer Research Society. They say donations until 228 are tripled by a generous benefactor, so today, I will donate $76 to them (so it will mutiply to $228).  I've also made my yearly donation to FAPA this year and with the C$ up, I gave more this year (US$100).

What will you do to remember 228?  Perhaps, read from Formosa Betrayed, or Formosa Calling.  Maybe watch the film Formosa Betrayed?  I noticed the official site of the movie has been infected with malware - I would not be surprised it it was the work of Chinese hackers.  Sad.  I've also dug out my copy of Jimmy Hsiao's Voices - a film about 228 with first hand accounts by victims.  It is a valuable documentary about this dark chapter of Taiwan's history.  I noticed James Hsiao is now a doctor in San Diego.  The Taiwanese Students Association arranged a screening of Voices at the University of Saskatchewan Arts Lecture Theatre in 1998 or 1999.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you for posting such a great Blog. An attractive retail signage in front of a hotel is absolutely vital to business. So the retail signage is the best way to promote the business and attract customers.

    ReplyDelete