Monday, January 31, 2011

George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra

Many years ago, I bought a 2 LP album of George Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra in Mozart's Symphonies 35, 39, 40 and 41 from Fidelio Records in Calgary.  It was released at the time of Szell's death in 1970. I read with great admiration the story of Szell and how he built the Cleveland Orchestra into a first class ensemble.  The finale of the Jupiter Symphony blew me away - I had never heard any version that was better than this!  I only wish Szell would have taken some of the repeats.  I wish the recording quality could have been better.  I think the British are right and the Decca and EMI engineers outclassed the RCA and CBS engineers.

Now, I had also bought the LP of Leon Fleisher playing the Beethoven 4th and Mozart 25th piano concerti.  These are by far my favorite recordings of these two piano concerti.  The speed at which Fleisher takes the last movement of KV 503 is amazing, but never slick and just for show.  Stunning virtuosity indeed, but at the service of the music.  I gave that LP to my cousin when she visited us in Oakville from Chicago.  I also gave her my 4 LP Art of Dinu Lipatti.

Szell also made some great recordings with Rudolf Serkin.  I love the Mozart, but also the Brahms.  Again, the poor recording quality is a drawback.  I also have the Brahms with Fleisher as well.  Tonight, I was listening to Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate with Judith Raskin.  Glorious.

What can I say?  George Szell built a great orchestra that was second to none.  I'm glad that I've had the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of their labours.  Especially their collaboration with Leon Fleisher at his peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment