Friday, April 15, 2011

Annoyances - Windows 7

Microsoft is really going downhill.  It was patch Tuesday again this week.  Well, my Windows 7 Pro computer wouldn't boot after 20 new updates were applied.  This happened twice and I had to do a system restore back to the previous state twice.  Looks like others have had problems too. I don't understand how reviewers praise this piece of junk.  I get not responding message for anything from a browser to word processors quite often now.  VERY BAD SOFTWARE.  I'll have to turn off automatic updates so this doesn't happen a third time.  If only there was more software for Linux.  However, for the average user, I think Ubuntu is just fine.  Too bad more people don't know about that!

OK, noticed that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was out. I turned off automatic updates in Control Panel.  Then I downloaded the DVD image for Win7 SP1.  Funny how the service pack is named as Windows 6.1 service pack (so Windows 7 is really Windows 6.1!)  Ran the service pack (takes about 1 hour).  Then I applied the latest Windows 7 updatess (minus IE 9).  It actually worked this time.  Just shows how shoddy the Windows updates can be.  I can imagine the average user puzzled that their computer wouldn't boot and taking it for service and forking over more $$$.  No wonder the IT industry loves Microsoft products - it keeps the food chain going!

Well, the computer wouldn't boot again, so did a system restore back to SP1 and turned off automatic update notifications.  See if this works.  What a bunch of crap Microsoft!

It still doesn't cold boot!  This is bad.

I upgraded the memory to 6 gig.  This appears to have fixed things.

No comments:

Post a Comment