Sunday, April 3, 2011

My grandmother's longevity

My grandmother, Yoneko, has recently lost her sight.  She is 95 years old.  Today, I found this article about he benefits of natto.  I remember as a child seeing my grandmother eat this soy bean food.  I didn't think it was too appetizing and never ate it.  My mother says most of the health problems we face are due to diet.  She points to my grandmother (my father's mother) as a case in point.  During this time of Lent, I think it is appropriate if we think about the problems that the largesse of our society poses to one's health.  I've read that the drugs that are used to treat various chronic conditions may actually be harmful.  I never liked the idea of taking a statin to control cholesterol.  Well, I think it's high time to look at some alternatives.  I've felt healthier and have been less sick this past winter as I've tried to do 30 minutes on the NordicTrak 3 times a week.  The lethargic technological society we have is really causing multiple problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment