Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stephen Kovacevich and Schubert's D 960

I bought this CD at HMV in Square One I think in the 1980s (or was it Sam's on Yonge Street?). I pulled it out to listen as I was exercising again.  It was the first recording of Schubert's last piano sonata I ever bought.  I think I read good things about it in Fanfare and the Penguin Record Guide.  I had always admired Stephen Kovacevich. I think I heard him interviewed on Stereo Morning in the early 1990s and Terry Campbell mentioned something about how his recording company (Philips) was good.  I distinctly recall Kovacevich pretty much had no comment.  I guess that's because he was moving on to EMI at that time.  I always felt Philips slighted him and favored Alfred Brendel.  Too bad, Kovacevich made several great recordings for them (Beethoven concerti, some solo work including the Diabelli Variations, some outstanding Brahms, the Bartók concerti, the Grieg & Schumann concerti, and a couple of Mozart concerti records).  I would like to get more of his recordings, but even his EMI Beethoven Sonata set is hard to get, let alone his old Philips recordings.

As for this Schubert, he upheld his usual high standards of dynamics and judgement. I added Pollini's recording after I bought his.  I also have Leon Fleisher's (his first major 2 handed recording in decades).  Then recently, I got Clara Haskil, Géza Anda and Curzon's (on CD and DVD).  I guess there is something about Schubert that draws me in.  Perhaps, it is because he lived such a short life (even shorter than Mozart!).  For me, this sonata is to Schubert what Mozart's KV 595 was to Mozart.  You can sense the end (of their lives) is near in both works.

No comments:

Post a Comment