Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beethoven reigns with my kids

Last night, I was playing Stephen Kovacevich's recording of the Brahms D minor piano concerto.  My 2 kids wanted Beethoven instead.  So, I put on the DVD of Krystian Zimerman playing the Beethoven Fourth Piano Concerto.  I had heard Brendel's first Philips recording of it on CBC a couple of days ago.  Absolutely beautiful (it is Beethoven's most lyrical piano concerto).  They wanted me to play the Karajan Beethoven 9th DVD, but I said no.  My little one was still watching after the piano concerto finished, so I put on the Karajan Beethoven 9th.  Now, he listened to it all the way through.  He asked me questions like "what's his name (von Karajan),  where are they playing (Berlin), what is Berlin (capital of Germany), what are they speaking (German).  Usually, he wants to go straight to the last movement.  He was also humming along with the slow movement (a beautiful long, singing phrase).  So, in our house Beethoven reigns supreme (even though dad likes Mozart, Brahms and Schumann).

No comments:

Post a Comment