Sunday, June 17, 2012

Leon Fleisher's KV 503

I've not listened to Leon Fleisher's recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concerti for a while, so I pulled them out last week.  Included is his recording of KV 503 - Mozart's 25th piano concerto.  I first heard this recording as a CBS Great Performances LP coupled with Beethoven's 4th piano concerto.  His recording of the Beethoven 4th piano concerto has been my favorite since I first heard it and it still is.  The same goes for his recording of KV 503.  I gave my cousin this LP when she came to visit us in Oakville many moons ago, but I had bought Fleisher's set of Beethoven piano concerti for $45 at Sam's on Yonge Street when I was an undergrad.  It's a treasure I still enjoy immensely and can now be had for a pittance!  And the contribution of the Cleveland Orchestra under George Szell was notable too.  A better time in the history of that (my favorite American) orchestra and the city of Cleveland.

Fleisher suffered an injury to his right hand which sounds eerily similar to what happened to another great CBS artist, Murray Perahia.  Perahia seems to have been able to recover from his injury though.  Two outstanding Jewish-American pianists!

No comments:

Post a Comment