Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Trouble with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Very frustrating.  Tried to install the AMD driver for the onboard graphics without success.  The first driver installed, but the update didn't.  It took longer than it should and when the update failed, the original AMD driver was removed (and you would have to install it again).  I had my 20" LCD on VGA and 32" TV on HDMI.  It worked as a clone only once.  After I tried fiddling with the driver, it wouldn't clone the displays nor would it let me extend the desktop.

The Ubuntu software update wasn't any good either.  It stops when it can't find one of the updates and doesn't install the ones it can download.  Not good at all.  I guess AMD doesn't have very good Linux drivers!  Not good for the average user either.  I'm not too happy with this.

Found some drivers here, but it still doesn't work.  Have to issue commands from the command line!  The install required going to a terminal to execute the downloaded file (quite common with Linux).  Now, if you had no idea about paths, you would not know that you have to cd Downloads and then run the command!  Definitely not a plus for the average user.  However, Apple went the total opposite extreme and that's very annoying too IMHO.

The ATI driver screwed up my Ubuntu installation.  The TV became the default monitor and the LCD monitor was 'stacked' on top of it, but it would just show a grey screen.  I turned off the TV and then I got no picture at all (grey screen on LCD - it didn't automatically revert to the LCD as the default - this is what the default Ubuntu generic driver does).  So, now I'm reinstalling Ubuntu so I can login again.  Really lousy.  Don't use the ATI driver from AMD!

No comments:

Post a Comment