Friday, February 28, 2014

2-28 Film, Voices by Jimmy Hsiao

Every year, I watch the film Voices, by Jimmy Hsiao to commemorate the 2-28 Incident.  We had a showing of this film at the University of Saskatchewan back in 1999.  Jimmy Hsiao made this film as an undergraduate at Yale.  I think he is now a doctor.  I wish the film were on YouTube.

It is very sad.  Families which were victims of this atrocity committed by the Kuomingtang troops which occupied Taiwan after WWII are interviewed.  My son watched it with me and noticed they were speaking Taiwanese (Hoklo) which he has some understanding of.  Some of the victims shown in the film were profiled in the brochure we made back in 1999.  My son said I should have shown him this in the morning (there is no time).  I said he shouldn't be afraid to tell Chinese people about this (just as he shouldn't be afraid to tell people he is Christian).

I can forgive, but I will not forget.  When I first read George Kerr's account in Formosa Betrayed, I was so moved and angry that I set to put the book on the internet.  I bought a scanner and the book was published on the internet 1997 November 11.  My anger is gone as bitterness is not the answer.  We need to forgive because of Christ's payment on the cross.  My late father-in-law saw the dead bodies lined along the streets of Tainan as a child in March 1947.  God bless Taiwan.


No comments:

Post a Comment