Friday, February 7, 2014

A package arrived from Rome on February 4

Many years ago (in the 1980's), I saw a PBS documentary featuring Carlo Maria Giulini conducting Beethoven's 5th with the LAPO.  It was during that time that I bought my first Brahms symphony record, an LP of the 2nd symphony with the LAPO (I recall buying it at The Bay in Calgary Market Mall - what a different era that was!).  I've always wanted to get his CD of the Beethoven 5th with the LAPO.  My Giulini collection was rather sparse and consisted of 2 CDs with the LAPO.  I had his recording of the Schumann Rhenish coupled with Sinopoli's Schubert Unfinished - it has given me great pleasure.  I do have several CDs where he accompanies soloists and some he recorded for Sony Classical in the 80's and 90's.  I also bought his LAPO recording of Brahms' First Symphony coupled with Schumann's Manfred Overture.  His Brahms First was playing in the home a last week when my wife cheered with approval upon its triumphant close.  It is the music to the hymn "We are God's people" which we sometimes sing at church.

Well, this past Tuesday, a package arrived from Rome with the 16 CD Art of Carlo Maria Giulini.  I now have that Beethoven 5th!  I did not actually pick it up until Wednesday.  And I listened to the Brahms First he recorded with the Vienna Philharmonic.  The following day (Wednesday), the 17 CD Giulini, The London Years arrived from Amazon.ca which I picked up on Thursday (I've not listened to these older EMI recordings yet).  I'm thinking Giulini's recordings of the Bruckner symphonies 7-9 will be my introduction Anton Bruckner - a composer a childhood friend of mine has long admired.

Giulini was a nice person on the podium and he did what was right - he opposed the Fascists.  A kind and generous soul indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment