Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I give up, reinstall Windows 7

I give up on my Phenom 9850 / Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Windows 7 Pro computer. It kept on crashing after I rearranged the RAM. So, now I have two matched pairs of 1 Gig DDR2 in there (1 set of Nanya and 1 set of Elpida Elixir) for 4 Gig total. It was crashing with some Platinum (GB Micro) 2 gig sticks (not of the same manufacturer).

As I was poking through the BIOS, I noticed my hard drives were not in AHCI (native SATA) mode and that hardware virtualisation wasn't turned on. So, before I reinstalled, I backed up my hard drives to a Fantom Esata 1 terabyte HD. This was much faster than using USB 2.0 (what would have taken hours on USB 2.0 took about 20 minutes with Esata). The Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H mainboard has Esata built in, so this was one reason I chose that board. These SATA and hardware virtualisation settings must be set BEFORE installing Windows (as I discovered when my Win XP Virtual Machine didn't work when I turned on hardware virtualisation in the BIOS with my previous crashing setup). So, with these BIOS settings changed, I'm hoping to finally have a stable Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system.

No comments:

Post a Comment