Thursday, July 29, 2010

Problem with Windows 7 and Esata resolved

In a previous post, I noted that I had my SATA drive controller set as native IDE instead of AHCI. That's the reason why my E-SATA drive wasn't recognised (see yet another post) until I went into device manager and scanned for new hardware. Now that I've set my mainboard SATA controller to AHCI mode, the E-sata drive is seen automatically and it can be ejected (like a USB drive).

Perhaps, this mainboard BIOS setting was at the root of all my previously documented Windows 7 problems? So far, this reinstallation hasn't encountered any problems.

On another note, I forgot again that if a hard drive was formatted with Ubuntu Linux, you have to do an fdisk/mbr (pre XP) or fixmbr (XP) to make the drive usable for a fresh Windows installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment