Saturday, July 24, 2010

Vista Ultimate 32-bit install with Vista Home Premium Upgrade Disk





Well, finally got around to installing the used OEM Vista Ultimate 32-bit I bought on Kijiji in June 2010. Problems galore! Using the DVD that came in the case didn't work. It always hung at the last step. I also had the problem of the system being way too hot in a mini-tower case. So, after 3 tries with that Vista Ultimate DVD, I transferred the mainboard and HD to a bigger case with 4 extra fans. Tried to get Ubuntu 10.04 to install and it failed. So, I remembered I had a 32-bit Vista Home Premium Ugrade disk. I installed Vista Ultimate from that disk (which has SP1) without issue! What you do is DON'T TYPE IN THE PRODUCT KEY and choose Vista Ultimate as the edition you bought. It worked! Then the activation problem - internet activation said the product key was already activated. So, I had to do phone activation. First time, I got cut off, so I phoned again and finally got to a live person and he activated Vista Ultimate over the phone for me. Now, I'm doing SP2 and getting it all updated. BTW, the computer is a Gigabyte AM2+ (AM3) mainboard with 4 gig and a Phenom II 940 processor.

Now, I didn't get this idea by myself, it's based on this article I recalled from a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment