Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Favorite Violin Concerto Recordings

Of course Jascha Heifetz' recordings would be up there for me, but here are some other favorites:

Bruch Violin Concerto 1/Scottish Fantasy:  Cho-liang Lin / CSO / Slatkin

Brahms Violin Concerto:  Nathan Milstein / VPO / Jochum (he plays his own cadenza)

Beethoven Violin Concerto:  Itzhak Perlman / Phil O / Giulini 

Beethoven Violin Concert:  Schneiderhan / BPO / Jochum

Mozart Violin Concerti: Artur Grumiaux / LSO / Davis

Sibelius and Nielsen Violin Concerti:  Cho-liang Lin / Salonen

Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn Violin Concerti:  Milstein / VPO / Abbado

Bach Violin Concerti:  La Petite Bande

Elgar Violin Concerto:  Nigel Kennedy / LPO / Handley

Other recordings I like:

Bruch Violin Concerto 1 / Mendelssohn Violin Concerto:  Uto Ughi / LSO / Prêtre

Brahms Violin Concerto:  Herman Krebbers / Concertgebouw / Haitink

Now, the Bruch G minor violin concerto is about as beautiful as anything ever written.  When I heard Ughi`s recording in high school (I bought that CD mail order from England), I was just in awe.  Wow!  My wife loves it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment