Sunday, October 24, 2010

Socket 1366 is cool (not like HOT AMD Phenom II) & Handel's Water Music

On Friday night, I put together an Intel Core i7 system for a friend's son.  The CPU was $300, the GeForce GT460X was $200, the Asus Socket 1366 board was $220, the case was $60, the 8 Gig if DDR3 RAM was $200.  The hard drive didn't arrive yet, but I put it together anyways.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was pretty painless.  I booted up Ubuntu 10.04 LTS from the CD and it worked no problems (no hard drive, so I did the test drive with Ubuntu Linux).  This contrasted sharply from my horrid experience with trying to put together a Phenom II 940 system for myself - the stupid AMD CPU kept on overheating.  Impressive Intel.

Recently, I decided to put on the English Concert's recording of Handel's Water Music.  I first heard about this recording from Bob Kerr's CBC Radio show, Off the Record.  It sounds as fresh today as it did almost 30 years ago when I was in high school in Calgary.  I've quite a few of the English Concert's recordings from the 1980s when the period instrument movement was picking up steam.  They are all excellent - check out their recordings of the Bach Brandenburg Concerti and the Orchestra Suites.  I miss the old CBC with hosts like Bob Kerr and Max Ferguson.  There was also a show at 1830 called Listen to the Music.  Arts National is long gone and the new CBC Radio 2 is something I don't listen to anymore (classical is pretty much out except for one show in the daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment