Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dorian Recordings

In the 1990s, BMG Music Service setup shop in Canada briefly and competed with Columbia House.  It was great as I now had access to the PolyGram catalog (DG, Decca, Philips) at a discount. They also happened to offer CDs from Dorian, a small American lablel.  Along the way, I was introduced to Custer LaRue's recording of American folk songs by Bob Kerr (CBC Stereo, Off the Record).

One of the songs on this CD was the theme to the Friendly Giant.  Bob Kerr also introduced me to Juilanne Baird's recording of John Downland's song, Come Again (sheet music here).  Sting has performed this song too. I had not listened to this Julianne Baird CD for maybe 10 years and I pulled it out yesterday to listen to it.  Glorious!  It is certainly a young person's song.

Also, I heard about "The Art of the Bawdy Song" with the Baltimore Consort.  Rather more boorish music (and lyrics) here.


I was drawn back to these Dorian Recordings because on April 18th, my recording of Ivan Moravec playing the Schumann and Brahms Piano concerti arrived.  I had tried unsuccessfully to get it new from Amazon.ca, but an Ontario seller on Amazon.ca Marketplace had a used one for sale.  I've been listening to a lot of Ivan Moravec's Chopin from his Vox recordings lately.



How lucky that I have these fabulous Dorian CDs in my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment