Monday, April 15, 2013

Sir Colin Davis

This morning, I heard the news of Sir Colin Davis' passing from an e-mail from Presto Classical.  I admired Sir Colin Davis for his Mozart conducting.  As a high schooler, I enjoyed the Philips records he made with Stephen Kovacevich.  The first Davis recording I had was a Philips Festivo LP of Mozart's Prague and Jupiter symphonies.  It was one of the first recordings of the Jupiter in which I heard the repeats in the final movement.
This morning, it happened that their recording of Mozart's KV 467 was playing in my car.  I think that is my favorite recording of KV 467.  Kovacevich's ornamentations in the slow movement really caught my ear the first time I heard it.

He is a musician I will miss, but we are so lucky that his recordings live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment