Friday, October 11, 2013

My favorite violin concerti

When I first discovered Bruch's First Violin Concerto in grade 10, I thought it must be some of the most beautiful music ever written and it epitomises what the Romantic movement was all about.  It was through Uto Ughi's RCA recording with the LSO that I first heard this work (and his CD is still among my favorites).  I had actually listened to the Mendelssohn first because I had no idea who Max Bruch was back then.  The transition from the first movement to the slow movement is so beautiful as to give one goose bumps.

The other violin concerto I loved in grade 10 was the Brahms Violin Concerto.  I heard Miriam Fried play it live when I was in high school.   In April 1998, I heard Perlman play it with the TSO  under Zukerman.  The first CD of the Brahms concerto I had was Mutter's (made when she was 19).  I've since come to favor Milstein's recordings, especially his last recording of it with Eugen Jochum and the Vienna Philharmonic.  I first heard this sonically stunning recording from a Calgary Public Library LP.  A few years ago, I bought the CD of it (along with the Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky concerti).  Milstein was 71 when this 1975 LP was released by DG.  I also have his earlier recording with the Philharmonia.  Apparently, the mono version with Steinberg and the Pittsburgh Orchestra is the one to have.  Milstein plays his own cadenzas.  The close of the opening movement also gives me the chills.  So, so lovely.  That's why Brahms touches my heart like Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann and Chopin!

Now, the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto has always been a favorite too.  I heard it live for the first time at an SSO concert earlier this year.

I have come back to listening to this trio of treasures after several months of listening to mainly solo piano music.

No comments:

Post a Comment