Monday, October 21, 2013

QGIS

UPDATE:  Click HERE for new how-to video.

I happened upon QGIS while browsing the blog of the Open Source School.   Looks like this is THE Open Source GIS software to have. A couple of years ago, I found this blog when I was figuring out how to setup Xibo digital signage.  I downloaded the Windows 64-bit version of  QGIS yesterday and then couldn't figure out how to use the datasets that were downloaded with the install.

Today, I went to the Sask Geological Survey and found the Geological Atlas of Saskatchewan.  I selected some data on the map and then clicked on the download icon which lets you download a zip file of the data:


I unzipped the file and then loaded vector layers into QGIS.  I noticed there were .shp file extensions, so I filtered by SHP (shape) files.  The following map was exported from QGIS to a PNG.  I chose highways, waterbodies, lat/long and Lithoprobe seismic lines:


No comments:

Post a Comment