Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Putting together the Core i5

Some parts arrived from NCIX today.  The Asus mainboard, CPU and 2 Gig Seagate hard drive were ordered Sunday and arrived today.

I started out by cloning the 1 gig drive from my AMD 6-core computer onto the 2 Gig Seagate with ToDO Backup Free Edition.  I will be using the 1 Gig drive in the Core i5 which will become the main computer at home.  With Windows 7 and Windows 8, you can't clone partitions.  You need to clone the entire drive if you want to transfer from one hard drive to another.  I found this out the hard way.

Next, I started putting the Core i5 system together.
  • The Asus mainboard was installed into the case, 
  • The Core i5 4430 CPU was installed along with the CPU fan
  • followed by 16 gig of  PNY DDR3 ram I bought last year.
I don't have the power supply yet (which was ordered from Amazon.ca).   That is set to arrive on Friday.  Then I'll install Windows 8 Pro in this computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment