Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mozart Clarinet Concerto

I borrowed this from the library on March 18 (my stupid car wouldn't start for me).  I've heard of Emma Johnson before, but not actually heard her play.  I had not listened to the Mozart Clarinet Concerto for quite a while.  I've recently bought recordings by Martin Fröst and Sabine Meyer.  So, I listened to this one while exercising.  Clarinet sounds pretty mellow (especially when it's basset clarinet).  I recall after reading Einstein's biography of Mozart in high school how the clarinet was a favorite of Mozart. It was also during this time I bought a couple of clarinet concerto CDs.  One was the Chandos CD with Janet Hilton playing the Weber Clarinet Concerti  and the other was Thea King playing clarinet concerti by Crusell and Weber. I've been listening to more Romantic music recently, especially the Bruch G minor violin concerto (played by Lin Cho-liang and Uto Ughi), so it was nice to listen to something classical again.  I also dug out my La Petite Bande recording of the Bach Orchestral Suites.  I got them as ProArte CDs so many years ago when I was in high school.  I've also bought some as gifts from the Musical Heritage Society.  Rather short measure at less than 40 minutes per CD, but La Petite Bande is a special ensemble (from Belgium).  I had written earlier of their financial difficulties.  The austerity problems in Europe are not going to result in any better days soon.  Sad, but reckless spending has left a daunting legacy for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment