Tuesday, March 1, 2011

St David's Day - betting on the giant Alaska Cu/Au/Mo Pebble Deposit

It's St David's day today - the national day of Wales. I read about this in National Geographic during the winter break - Bristol Bay Copper/Gold/Molybdenum deposit in Alaska.  Today, I unloaded most of my position in AVR-T and bought NDM-T.  They own half this deposit and the major shareholders are Anglo American (50%), Rio Tinto (20%), management (12%).  Another 11% used to be owned by Mitsubishi, but they sold their stake last week.  Now, TD Newcrest upped their target price to $44 and says their takeover price would be $128.  Who knows.  This could be a big hit and I like that the big boys have already bought in.  Downside is of course, it could destroy the rich salmon and steelhead fishery in Alaska.  I often buy Alaska rainbow trout from Bev's Fish and Seafod (Prince Albert).  It's amazingly tasty fish.  There is a website that's all about trying to stop the mining and saving this beautiful place from development.  I guess given the rich copper deposits in Chile (an active subduction zone), it would not be surprising that Alaska (also a subduction zone) has rich copper deposits.  This is similar to the offshore oil exploration near Guyana as a result of the oil wells now producing offshore Ghana on the other side of the Atlantic.  I figure it's about time I started using my geophysics background to make money.

And, my Heifetz complete collection came in from England today.  Had to pay about $19 brokerage and GST though.   I got it for $240 and now it's listing for $480!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a great Blog. Quality retail signage that brings returns is not exorbitantly expensive. Here are a few primary guidelines:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am agree with your Blog.Thanks for the useful information.I have been reading a lot of stuff about it. but the way in it is presented is nice.Here is the information about
    Production companies.

    ReplyDelete