Monday, November 29, 2010

Bad day for hard drives! Don't buy Chinese produce!

At school a teacher told me the external hard drive wouldn't respond.  I looked at it and found it wasn't even spinning.  So, I took it out of the case and a piece of plastic fell out.  The drive had worked out of it's power connection even though it was screwed in! Looks like too many G's were applied to it.  Anyways, it worked fine once I put it back together.  Good luck for that one.

Then at home, my Athlon 64x2 5000 wouldn't boot.  I eventually traced it to a troublesome Seagate 250 Gig SATA drive.  I took the Seagate 250 Gig SATA drive out and the computer booted.  I had just recorded some TV onto that drive on Sunday!  It had given me problems a few weeks ago - wouldn't show up in the BIOS and I had to jiggle the cables and it worked again.  This time that wouldn't work.  So, I put it in a USB 2.0 case I just got and it still wouldn't work. Next, hooked it up to a temp USB-SATA connector and the drive would show up in My Computer, but I couldn't access it.  It kept on making a cyclical clicking noise.  This wasn't a heavily used hard drive.  It was once a boot drive, but I don't use that computer very much anymore.  Very disappointing - was it poor QC from this Chinese made drive?  They just don't make hard drives very reliable nowadays!

I also got an e-mail from a church friend warning against eating Chinese Mandarin oranges.  This was sent by someone from VIDO.  Her friend broke out in a rash because of a reaction to the pesticides used.  I don't buy Chinese Mandarin oranges.  They tend not to rot because of how they are chemically treated.  The Japanese Mandarin oranges tend to rot quickly - a good thing actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment