Friday, November 5, 2010

Valerie Tryon and the Schumann Fantasie Op 17

This CD does not disappoint.  I was most interested in the Schumann Fantasie, Op 17 as that is one of my favorite solo piano works.  I heard the name Valerie Tryon and the Rembrandt Trio on CBC Stereo when I was in grad school (1990s). Never gave it much thought back then as I don't listen to chamber music too much.  The Schubert and Mozart sonatas are nice too.  I had a chance to listen to Valerie Tryon in Ancaster in the summer of 2009, but didn't act on it.  That recital was actually put together by the piano dealer I bought my Mason and Hamlin Model A from (don't buy a piano from The Music Group - I got terrible service from them and had to deal with Mason and Hamlin directly).  I have no problem with Mason and Hamlin - great company to deal with as they fixed the problem my dealer should have resolved.

The only thing I was disappointed with was that the audio quality didn't wow me.  Not that it was poor engineering, but I was hoping for something great from APR - a small English company. Valerie Tryon's technique has stayed solid even though she was over 70 when this CD was recorded.  She should be better known!

No comments:

Post a Comment