Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 was a great year financially

December 2010 was an amazing month for my RRSP.  The sequence of events that led to a $4000 rise in it's value were
  • unexpected sell order for K @ $18.70 filled on December 17
  • purchase of 10K of AVR on December 20
  • sold position in STB and bought 2K of TKO on December 20
  • forgot to up the TKO sell order price and it sold on December 29 @ $5.15
  • bought ATH too early with the TKO proceeds - now sitting at a loss
Now, AVR is up nicely, but according to my rough calculations it's about fully valued when compared to K.  Saw this GlobeInvestor this morning that was down on gold.  Of course Eric Sprott among others (including the AVR S&P report) see a lot more mileage for gold.  Sprott Asset Management owns 19% of AVR, so he must know something about that one.

So, in 2011, I'll have to work on building the portfolio.  To trade or not to trade, that is the question.  I still believe in oil and gold though.  Those are the pillars of my portfolio.

One strategy I'm thinking of is when do I move from AVR (higher risk) to K (mid-tier gold miner)?  I like this simple strategy - low PE and less debt than equity (also look for book value vs share price)

No comments:

Post a Comment