Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mozart was born 255 years ago today

Yesterday night, I felt the urge to listen to the Prague Symphony, KV 504.  I chose Karl Böhm's recording with the Vienna Philharmonic. I also have Böhm's complete set of Mozart symphonies with the Berlin Philharmonic - a friend who worked at HMV in Edmonton got it for me in the early 1990s at employee pricing. The first movement of that symphony has always been a favorite of mine.  I really like Benjamin Britten's recording of it, but I only have that on a London LP.  Next, I listened to Rafael Kubelik's recording of the Jupiter Symphony, KV 551.  I only listened to the triumphant last movement - the epitome of the classical symphony.  Today is Mozart's birthday.  He is still one of my 3 favorite composers along with Brahms and Schumann.

 Now this recording was released shortly after Sir Clifford Curzon's death in 1982.  The performance was also conducted by Benjamin Britten.  It is yet another gem that I treasure.  I should listen to it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment