Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Heifetz in Performance & Uto Ughi Plays Bruch G minor Concerto

I was playing this DVD while exercising tonight.  Elisha was very excited and went upstairs to get his 1/32 St Antonio Violin.  It was a performance of the Bruch Scottish Fantasy with L'Orchestre National de France.  I recall seeing the end of this video when the news was reporting Heifetz' death in 1987.  There was no conductor for this performance.  I've always thought Heifetz has no peer as far as violinists go.  It's amazing how many great Jewish violinists from Russia were born from his era (Elman, Milstein, Oistrakh).  Alas, Elisha lost interest after about 11 minutes.  I love Bruch's G minor violin concerto and his Scottish Fantasy.  I think his G minor violin concerto is the most beautiful of all violin concerti.  Truly romantic music at its best.

So, I thought I would listen to the first recording I ever bought of the Bruch G minor - the one by Uto Ughi.  The original CD I ordered from England when I was in high school had the Mendelssohn and Bruch G minor coupled together.  I always found that CD very satisfying.  Now when I was in San Francisco for the AGU meeting in December 1993, I bought that Uto Ughi recording again, but coupled with the Brahms Violin Concerto (my two favorite violin concerti on the same CD).  I recall I also bought Kyung Wha-chung's EMI recording of it coupled with the Beethoven Violin Concerto.  Uto Ughi's recordings are hard to come by now.  I'm glad I have his recording of the Beethoven violin concerto too.

1 comment:

  1. Just found this post by Chance UTO UGHI is the greatest Violinist I have ever heard. I was a Heifetz Fanatic studied with Erick Friedman Heifetz great protégé. I just discovered UTO UGHI and he is amazing. STILL!! good recording!! Amazon has a lot of his recordings!!

    ReplyDelete